What's in the room and what to bring

Our university accommodation is part-furnished. Most rooms have a single bed, desk, chair, wardrobe and shelves.

What do I need when living in university accommodation?

Bring with you everything that is needed for independent living, such as:

  • bedding (pillows, duvets and sheets)
  • towels
  • personal items, e.g. hairdryer, shaver, etc
  • electric kettle
  • crockery
  • pots and pans
  • cutlery
  • toaster
  • tea towels
  • oven gloves
  • personal first aid kit
  • small sewing kit
  • electrical adapters (these must meet British Safety Standards).

You could buy kitchen items after you arrive and share the cost with your housemates.

A company called Click2Campus sells packs of student essentials. You can order packs before you move in and they’ll be delivered to your room when you arrive. There’s more information on pack content and prices on the Click2Campus website.

Will I need to insure my personal possessions?

If you’ll be living in accommodation that we manage, your possessions will be automatically covered up to £5,000 through our insurer Cover4students.com. Please check what the policy covers and how you can extend it if you need to.

We manage Anastasia House, Collier Road shared houses, University shared houses, Peter Taylor House, Swinhoe Hall and Student Village.

If you’ll be living at CB1 or The Railyard, your possessions will also be automatically covered. The property managers will give you a copy of the policy.

If you’ll be living in the YMCA or Sedley Court, please arrange your own personal possessions insurance.

Student possessions insurance policy

Student possessions insurance leaflet

Can I bring my car with me?

We don’t have any general parking on campus but there are a limited number of spaces for daily use by Blue Badge holders which you can book in advance. For general parking in Cambridge, the Queen Anne and Grafton Street multi-storey car parks are both five minutes’ walk from campus and there's a short-stay car park opposite the campus on Adam and Eve Street. In Chelmsford, the Riverside Ice and Leisure Centre car park is a five-minute walk from campus.

We encourage all students and staff to walk, cycle or use public transport wherever possible.

There’s limited parking available in Chelmsford if your course involves a placement away from campus. Please see the links below for more information.

Student Village Parking Policy and Application Form

Can I bring my motorcycle or bike?

Yes, although parking spaces for motorcycles are limited on our campuses. All bikes and motorcycles are left at the owner’s risk.

Do I need a TV licence?

You’ll need a TV licence if you:
  • Watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service
  • Download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand

This is true no matter what device you're using (including TV sets, laptops, mobile phones or games consoles etc.) and how you're receiving the programmes (including terrestrial, satellite, cable or digital television channels). Anyone without a valid TV licence who watches or records television programmes as described above risks prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.