Dr Stephanie Russell
Faculty:Faculty of Business and Law
Department:School of Management
Areas of Expertise:
Business, management and leadership , Human Resources Management
Stephanie lectures in the field of HRM and Organisational Behaviour and her research interests are on the impact of regulation for firms in the Passive Fire Protection Industry. She has also published about management gurus and employer branding.
Dr Stephanie Russell recently (August 2015) completed a two-year, full-time secondment as a post-doctoral research fellow in the Institute for International Management Practice (IIMP). She worked on an ESRC funded research project (CURA-B) which was based on the role of assistive technology in improving elderly people’s health care and also published a co-authored paper in Organization Studies (16/04/15). She is a Senior Fellow of the HEA and have also been a lead supervisor for a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KEEP) (December 2014-April 2015). Stephanie is also an Academic Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (CIPD).
- Stephanie's research interests are on the impact of regulation for firms in the Passive Fire Protection Industry. She is interested in the role of norms and values in understanding differential levels of compliance to State regulation and her theoretical contribution is in the fields of institutional and critical theory.
- She is currently working on an ESRC project bid (£250,000) about Business Information Modelling (BIM) alongside Reading University and Prof Chris Ivory (IIMP).
- The research methods she specialises in are qualitative in nature, including interviews, non-participation observation and documentary analysis.
Areas of research supervision
- Current PhD supervision is around the area of Regulatory Enforcement and New Olympic Regulations during the London 2012 Olympics
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching, Anglia Ruskin University (June 2012)
- PhD in Management, Keele University (September 2011)
- MRes (Master of Social Science Research Methods - Management), Keele University (June 2008)
- BA (Hons) in Human Resource Management and Business Administration, Keele University (June 2007)
Memberships, editorial boards
- CIPD Academic Member (assessment 13/11/15) membership number 44779182.
- HEA senior fellowship awarded (26/11/14), reviewer of SF applications and now a Faculty teaching reviewer
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- Awaiting the result of a grant submitted to the Chartered Institute of Builders (CIOB) in December 2014, worth £3,000. The project will be funded by the CIOB and will explore the role of Local Authority Building Control (LABC) agencies and their response to regulatory requirements.
- Currently working with Professor Chris Ivory on a Business Information Modelling (BIM) grant in conjunction with academics at Reading University.
- Lead academic supervising a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) with a company called Floorspan in Wisbech (duration: January 2014 - July 2014).
Selected recent publications
Russell, S. and McCabe, D., 2015. Regulators, Conformers and Cowboys: The Enterprise Discourse and Discourses of Resistance in the Passive Fire Protection Industry.
Russell, S., 2011. Internalizing the brand? Identity Regulation and Resistance at Aqua-Tilt. In Brannan, M.J, Parsons, E. and Priola, V. (eds). Branded Lives: The Production and Consumption of Meaning at Work. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
Russell, S., 2010. Choice Versus Compliance: An Analysis of the Impact of Deregulation and ‘Voluntary Compliance’ in The Private Sector. In Breaking Down the Barriers; Proceedings of the 13th International Research Conference held at Staffordshire University (September 2009).
Russell, S. and Brannan, M.J. Getting the Right People on the Bus”: Recruitment, Selection and Integration for the Branded Organization (revise and resubmit to European Management Journal (2), by December 2015).
McCabe, D. And Russell, S. The Costumes Don’t Do it for Me’: Exploring the Translation of Management Gurus in a Context of Workplace Cultural Struggle (sent out for review OS, November 2015).
Recent presentations and conferences
- Invited to deliver a talk on regional innovation systems in healthcare to Keele University’s business school (3 December 2014)