Dr Nick Drydakis
Director of the Centre for Pluralist Economics (CPE)
Faculty:Faculty of Business and Law
School:Economics, Finance and Law
Areas of Expertise:
Economics , Business Management , Human Resources Management , Leadership and management
Nick is a world-leading researcher in labour economics. His contribution in the 2014 REF exercise was 'excellent'. He is ready to contribute to the 2021 REF exercise with four single-author papers, internationally rated as world-leading at the ABS Level (4444).
Nick is the founding Director of the Centre for Pluralist Economics (CPE). He is spokesperson at the IZA World of Labor for a series of areas such as inequality, poverty and discrimination. In addition, he is Cluster Leader of the Global Labor Organization. Nick has developed and offered credit eligible courses which have been delivered to economics students from Harvard University, the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, the University of California, Berkeley, Stanford University and Yale University.
Nick has published in international journals such as: Labour Economics, Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, Journal of Economics, Journal of Population Economics, Review of Economics of the Household, Social Science and Medicine, Journal of Vocational Behaviour, Human Relations, European Journal of Health Economics, Economics Letters.
- Labour Economics
- Population Economics
Areas of research supervision
- Economics of Inequality
- Economics crises and well-being
- Personality characteristics and labour markets
Nick has teaching expertise in leading undergraduate and postgraduate modules such as Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Public Economics, Industrial Organisation, Economics of Inequality, Discrimination, Poverty and Exploitation, Economics of Growth and Development, Mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics.
- PG Cert in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Anglia Ruskin University
- PhD in Economics, University of Crete
- MSc in Economics, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- BSc in Economics, University of Crete
Memberships, editorial boards
- Research Fellow, Institute for Labor Economics (Germany)
- Spokesperson, IZA World of Labor (Germany)
- Fellow and Cluster Leader, Global Labor Organisation (Germany)
- Academic Expert, Centre for Science and Policy, University of Cambridge (UK)
- Section Editor, Handbook of Labor, Human Resources and Population Economics (Springer)
- Guest Editor, International Journal of Manpower (Emerald)
- Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy (UK)
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
Selected recent publications
- Drydakis Nick, Sidiropoulou Katerina, Patnaik Swetketu, Selmanovic Sandra, and Bozani Vasiliki (2018). Masculine vs Feminine Personality Traits and Women’s Employment Outcomes in Britain: A Field Experiment. International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Publishing, 39(4): 621-630. 5-year Impact Factor: 1.060, 2 ranking ABS, A ranking ABDC.
- Drydakis Nick, MacDonald Peter, Chiotis Vangelis and Somers Laurence (2018). Age Discrimination in the UK Labour Market. Does Race Moderate Ageism? An Experimental Investigation. Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Publishing, 25(1): 1-4. Impact Factor: 0.37, 1 ranking ABS, B ranking ABDC.
- Drydakis Nick (2018). Economic Pluralism in the Study of Wage Discrimination: A Note. International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Publishing, 39(4): 631-636. 5-year Impact Factor: 1.060, 2 ranking ABS, A ranking ABDC.
- Drydakis Nick (2018-on line first). School‐Age Bullying, Workplace Bullying and Job Satisfaction: Experiences of LGB People in Britain. Manchester School, Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. Impact Factor: 0.615, 2 ranking ABS, B ranking ABDC.
- Drydakis (2017). Measuring Labour Differences between Natives, Non-Natives, and Natives with an Ethnic-Minority Background. Economics Letters, Elsevier Publishing, 161: 27-30. Impact Factor: 0.796, 3 ranking ABS, A ranking ABDC. REF 2021.
- Drydakis Nick (2017). Brain Types and Wages. Manchester School, Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 85(2): 183-211.Impact Factor: 0.615, 2 ranking ABS, B ranking ABDC. REF 2021.
- Drydakis Nick (2017). Trans Employees, Transitioning, and Job Satisfaction. Journal of Vocational Behavior, Elsevier Publishing, 78:1-16. 5-Year Impact Factor: 3.885, 4 ranking ABS, A* ranking ABDC. REF 2021.
- Drydakis Nick (2016). The Effect of University Attended on Graduates' Labour Market Prospects: A Field Study of Great Britain. Economics of Education Review, Elsevier Publishing, 52: 192-208. 5-Year Impact Factor: 1.868, 2 ranking ABS, A ranking ABDC. REF 2021.
- Drydakis Nick (2015). The Effect of Unemployment on Self-reported Health and Mental Health in Greece from 2008 to 2013: A Longitudinal Study Before and During the Financial Crisis. Social Science and Medicine, Elsevier Publishing, 128: 43-51. 5-Year Impact Factor: 3.505, 4 ranking ABS. REF 2021.
- Drydakis Nick (2015). Measuring Sexual Orientation Discrimination in the UK’s Labour Market; A Field Experiment. Human Relations, Sage Publishing, 68(11): 1769-1796. 5-Year Impact Factor: 4.027, 4 ranking ABS, A* ranking ABCD. REF 2021.
- Drydakis Nick (2015). Effect of Sexual Orientation on Job Satisfaction: Evidence from Greece. Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 54(1): Impact Factor: 1.674, 4 ranking ABS, A* ranking ABDC. REF 2021.
- Drydakis Nick (2015). Economics Applicants in the UK Labour Market: Entry Standards, University Reputation and Employment Outcomes. International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Publishing, 36(3): 296-333. 5-year Impact Factor: 1.060, 2 ranking ABS, A ranking ABDC. REF 2021.
- Drydakis Nick (2014). Bullying at School and Labour Market Outcomes. International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Publishing, 35(8): 1185 - 1211. 5-year Impact Factor: 1.060, 2 ranking ABS, A ranking ABDC. REF 2021.
- Drydakis Nick (2013). The Effect of Ethnic Identity on the Em
Recent presentations and conferences
- 25th Conference of the Eurasia Business and Economics Society (EBES) jointly organized with the Global Labor Organization (2018). Presentation: GLO Gender Cluster; Gender, Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation and Labor Market Outcomes. FOM: Berlin.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA) (2018); Expert Meeting. Presentation: Standardised Situation Testing. OECD: Paris.
- European Association of Work and Organizational Psychology; Symposium (2017). Presentation: Inclusive Recruitment? Hiring Discrimination against Older Workers. Congress Secretariat MCI: Dublin.
- The Campbell Collaboration, the Centre for Evidence and Social Innovation, the International Initiative for Impact Evaluation and Sense about Science; What Works Global Summit (2017). Presentation: Economic Crisis and Health Status. British Medical Association House: London.
Nick's research has received global media coverage, and he's been interviewed for his research by various media outlets, including: CNN, CBS, NBC, the Wall Street Journal, the Daily Record, The New York Daily News, Yahoo! News, The Huffington Post, Business Insider, Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph, The Washington Post, Good Morning America, United Press International, Daily Mirror, Times Higher Education, Bloomberg, BBC World Radio, Times Higher Education, The Independence.