Dr, Professor Francisco Liñán
Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Faculty:Faculty of Business and Law
Areas of Expertise:
Enterprise , Business Management , Economics
Professor Francisco Liñán is a professor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Anglia Ruskin University (part-time), and Tenured Associate Professor at Universidad de Sevilla, Spain. His research interests include the cognitive aspects of entrepreneurship behaviour and the entrepreneurial process.
Francisco Liñán got his PhD on the study of entrepreneurial intention models and entrepreneurship education (2004, University of Seville). Besides his position at Anglia Ruskin University, he is also teaching and researching at the University of Seville, Spain. Prof. Liñán research interests include entrepreneurship, entrepreneurial process and entrepreneurship education, leading to several publications in journals such as Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, International Small Business Journal, Entrepreneurship and Regional Development or Small Business Economics.
Prof. Liñán has participated in projects funded by the Spanish national government, EU and OECD. He is the Principal Investigator in the ELITE Project (Spanish National R+D Strategy, Ref.: ECO2016‐75655‐P). Professor Liñán is Associate Editor at the Journal of Organizational Change Management and Editorial Board Member at the International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research and the International Journal of Management Science and Information Technology.
- Entrepreneurial cognition
- New venture creation process
- Role of culture in entrepreneurial processes
Areas of research supervision
- Entrepreneurial intention models
- New venture creation process
- Entrepreneurship in different country contexts
- Doctoral Thesis (PhD) in Entrepreneurship, University of Seville
- Bachelor (BSc) in Economics, University of Seville
Memberships, editorial boards
- Board Member (Coordination Committee) at the European University Network on Entrepreneurship (ESU, www.esu-network.eu)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Organizational Change Management (2* AJG2018)
- Research Editor, Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy (UASBE & Sage)
- Editorial Board Member, International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Management Science and Information Technology
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- ELITE: Longitudinal study of the process of emergence of high-impact entrepreneurs. Financed by the Spanish National government (R+D+I project: Ref. ECO2016-75655-P).2017-2019. PI & Project Manager.
- Inclusive Entrepreneurship Country Policy Assessments. Responsible for country report. Financed by the OECD Centre for Entrepreneurship, SMEs and Local Development (LEED). 2014-2018. Project Manager.
- EMPLOY: Enhancing the employability of non-traditional students in HE. Researcher. Financed by the European Commission (Erasmus+ KA2: Strategic partnerships Actions). 2014-2017.
- EvIdEmce: Educar para Emprender: Evaluando Programas para la Formación de la Identidad Emprendedora en la Educación Obligatoria. Researcher. Financed by the Spanish National government (R&D&I projects: Ref. EDU2013-42936). 2014-2016.
- INTURPYME: PYME Turísticas, Cadenas de Valor Globales e Innovación. Researcher. Financed by the Spanish National government (R&D&I projects: Ref. ECO2013-42889). 2014-2016.
- Spain’s Country Note on Inclusive Entrepreneurship. Main researcher. Financed by the OECD Centre for Entrepreneurship, SMEs and Local Development (LEED). 2014.
- VIE Project: Cultural Values, Socioeconomic factors, and Entrepreneurial Intention: analysis in Spanish Regions. Main Researcher and Project Manager. Financed by Junta de Andalucía (regional government). 2009-2013.
Selected recent publications
Riviezzo, A., Santos, S.C., Liñán, F., Napolitano, M., & Fusco, F. 2018. European universities seeking entrepreneurial paths: the moderating effect of contextual variabilities on the entrepreneurial orientation-performance relationship. Technological Forecasting & Social Change. Accepted.
Delanoe-Gueguen, S., & Liñán, F. 2018. A longitudinal analysis of the influence of career motivation on entrepreneurial intention and action. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences. Accepted.
Al-Jubari, I. Hassan, A., & Liñán, F. 2018. Entrepreneurial intention among university students in Malaysia: integrating self-determination theory and the theory of planned behaviour. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal. OnlineFirst. DOI: 10.1007/s11365-018-0529-0.
Nabi, G., Walmsley, A., Liñán, F., Akhtar, I., & Neame, C. 2018. Does entrepreneurship education in the first year of higher education develop entrepreneurial intentions? The role of learning and inspiration. Studies in Higher Education, 43(3), 452–467.
- Nabi, G., Liñán, F., Krueger, N., Fayolle, A., & Walmsley, A. (2017). The impact of entrepreneurship education in higher education: A systematic review and research agenda. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 16(2), 277-299.
- Nabi, G., Walmsley, A., Liñán, F., Akhtar, I., & Neame, C. (2016). Does entrepreneurship education in the first year of higher education develop entrepreneurial intentions? The role of learning and inspiration. Studies in Higher Education, Online First.
- Liñán, F., Moriano, J.A. & Jaén, I. (2016): Individualism and entrepreneurship: Does the pattern depend on the social context? International Small Business Journal, 34 (6), 760–776.
- Santos, F.J., Roomi, M.A. & Liñán, F. (2016): About Gender Differences and the Social Environment in the Development of Entrepreneurial Intentions. Journal of Small Business Management, 54(1), 49-66. DOI: 10.1111/jsbm.12129.
- Liñán, F. & Fayolle, A. (2015): A systematic literature review on Entrepreneurial Intentions: Citation, Thematic Analyses, and Research Agenda. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 11(4), 907-933. DOI: 10.1007/s11365-015-0356-5.
- Fayolle, A. & Liñán, F. (2014): The future of research on entrepreneurial intentions. Journal of Business Research 67(5), 663-666.
- Fayolle, A., Liñán, F. & Moriano, J.A. (2014) : Beyond Entrepreneurial Intentions: Values and Motivations in Entrepreneurship. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 10(4), 679-689. DOI : 10.1007/s11365-014-0306-7
- Liñán, F. & Fernández-Serrano, J. (2014): National culture, entrepreneurship and economic development: different patterns across the European Union. Small Business Economics 42(4), 685-701. DOI: 10.1007/s11187-013-9520-x
- Krueger, N., Liñán, F. & Nabi, G. (2013) Cultural values and entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 25 (09-10), 703-707
- Nabi, G. & Liñán, F. (2013): Considering business start-up in recession time: The role of risk perception and economic context in shaping the entrepreneurial intent. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, 19(6), 633-655. DOI: 10.1108/IJEBR-10-2012-0107.
- Heuer, A.M. & Liñán, F. (2013): “Testing alternative measures of subjective norms in entrepreneurial intention models”. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 19(1), 35-50.
Recent presentations and conferences
- Modes of Thought in Entrepreneurial Intention Studies: A Collective Intelligence Perspective. Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management. Atlanta, GA (USA). August 2017
- Cultural values and social entrepreneurship: a cross-country efficiency analysis. 13th ESU Conference and Doctoral Programme. Lyon (France). Sept. 2016
- The Impact of Individual level Cultural Perceptions on Entrepreneurial Behavior. Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management. Anaheim, CA (USA). August 2016
- What Makes Dreams Become Reality? A multi-country analysis of Individual-level Cultural Perceptions as Moderators of the Entrepreneurial Intention – Behaviour Relationship. Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference. Bodo (Norway). June 2016
- Why are some individuals willing to pursue opportunities and others aren’t? XXVII RENT Conference, Vilnius (Lithuania). Nov. 2013
- Necessity and opportunity entrepreneurship: cross cultural analysis at the country level. XXVI RENT Conference, Lyon (France). Nov. 2012