Dr Emmanuel Idowu
Deputy Head of Department, Medical Science and Public Health
Faculty:Faculty of Medical Science
Department:Department of Allied Health
Emmanuel has degrees in Practitioner Leadership, Human Resource Development, Healthcare Ethics, and Philosophy of Medicine. As a researcher, he focuses on issues of organisation, performance, leadership and healthcare ethics.
Currently, Dr Emmanuel Idowu’s research examines organisational culture theory and the determinants of workplace performance. In particular, he's interested in the implications and applications of these determinants in organisational behaviour and performance. Emmanuel is also interested in the theme of the ‘dominant organisational logic’ as a means of understanding the relationship between organisational culture and organisational performance.
Emmanuel has significant public sector professional experience, with over 20 years of managing and developing range of diverse and complex healthcare services, education, and staff development in the health services in the United Kingdom (UK). In the UK, he's worked as an independent management consultant in primary care trusts (PCTs) in London and West Midlands. In these roles, he undertook and managed projects concerned with healthcare reform for managing long-term conditions. Having worked in the capacity of a clinical director, Emmanuel's gained wide experience in the field of clinical education, management and leading multidisciplinary team of professionals. During this time, he fully appreciated and participated in joint working and partnerships with other international organisations.
- Organisation, performance, leadership and healthcare ethics
- Organisational culture theory and the determinants of workplace performance
- Implications and applications of these determinants in organisational behaviour and performance
- The 'dominant organisational logic' as a means of understanding the relationship between organisational culture and organisational performance
Areas of research supervision
Emmanuel would be pleased to consider supervising doctoral students with the following research interests/topics:
- Leadership in the healthcare
- Organisational culture and behaviour
- Philosophy of Medicine
- Sense making in the organisation
- Ethical leadership
Dr Emmanuel Idowu currently teaches undergraduate and postgraduate courses and creates case study materials for the courses.
- Doctorate in Business Administration Teesside University, UK
- MSc Human Resource Development and Performance Management, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
- MA Strategic Human Resources, University of Westminster, London, UK
- PG Dip. Philosophy of Medicine, Society of Apothecaries of London, UK
- PG Dip. Health Research, University of Greenwich, London, UK
- PG Dip. Health Care Ethics, King’s College University of London, UK
- PG Dip. Health Service Management, Greenwich School of Management London, UK
- PG Cert. Teaching in Higher Education, University of Westminster London, UK
- BSc (Hons) Specialist Practice in Community Care, University of Surrey, Surrey, UK
- BA (Hons) Practitioner Leadership, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, UK
- Diploma Human Resource Management, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
Memberships, editorial boards
- Senior Fellow, Higher Education Authority UK (SFHEA)
- Fellow Royal Society for Public Health UK (FRSPH)
- Fellow Institute of Leadership and Management UK (FInstLM)
- Fellow Institute of Health Management UK (FIHM)
- City and Guilds Graduateship Senior Managers Award (GCGI) UK – (Founder Member)
- Member British Academy of Management UK
- 2015 – Present, External Examiner (Professional Doctorate) Keele University UK.
- 2016 – Present, External Examiner University of Chester, UK.
- 2017 – Present, External Examiner Glyndwr University, Wales UK.
- 2010 - 2014, Institute of Healthcare Management (IHM) UK Fellowship award assessor.
- 2010 - 2014, IHM Recognition, Professional Validation and Approved Provider Schemes assessor.
- 2010 - 2014, Assessor IHM MHSC Post Graduate Certificate and Diploma in Leadership for Healthcare.
- 2008–2013, National Reviewer for Mott MacDonald International UK, monitoring quality standards and approving education programmes in England, Scotland and Wales Universities.
- 2009–2013, School Governor (Greenwich Council).