Dr Theresa (Terri) Simpkin - a forward-looking academic with a focus on the innovative integration of higher education, corporate engagement and contemporary research to enhance capability of individuals and organisations.
Terri is responsible for managing undergraduate and postgraduate delivery on campus, by distance learning and international partnerships across the globe. Corporate programmes and business engagement are also part of Terri's remit.
Prior to this, Terri owned and operated a successful consultancy/training business, mischief business engineering which specialised in strategic HRM structures and organisational development aimed at achieving improved business capability. Providing consulting and professional development services to clients such as the Tasmanian and Australian Governments, public utilities, industry associations, SMEs and large corporate entities, UK Defence Forces and Essex Police, Terri has over two decades of experience across consulting, HRM, education and general management in industry and academia.
- Career decision making and vocational education
- Gender issues in leadership and management (eg imposter phenomenon, unconscious bias)
- Complexity, sense-making, social learning and leadership
- Emergent issues in leadership and management in the Data Centre sector
Terri is keen to advance understanding of the transition of individuals from vocational education in schools into career pathways following the development of a new, consolidated occupational decision making model as part of her PhD.
So too, the issue of barriers to advancement of women due to non structural/administrative issues including the psychological barriers associated with imposter phenomenon in high achieving women is a research agenda item. Leadership and management in the maturing Data Centre sector is an under-theorised, under examined area and is presenting avenues for new research activities.
Areas of research supervision
Supervision of postgraduate research topics include:
- HRM and gender issues
- Quality Assurance
- Contingent workforces and work quality/workplace identity
Terri has experience in teaching across a diverse and broad range of business related topics at undergraduate and postgraduate level, and on corporate programmes. These topics include:
- Human resources management
- Organisational behaviour
- Organisational development
- Talent management
- Strategic management
- Introductory marketing topics
- Leadership topics
- Bachelor of Administration, Human Resources Management (University of Tasmania)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Hons) (University of Tasmania)
- PhD (University of Tasmania)
- Post Graduate Certificate Teaching and Learning (Higher Education)Qualification and subject (Anglia Ruskin University)
Memberships, editorial boards
- Certified Professional, Australian Human Resources Institute (CAHRI)
- Chartered Member, Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (Chartered MCIPD)
- Churchill Fellow (2005)
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
Terri has a long history of consulting engagements including ten years operating her own strategic management consultancy. Clients included state and federal government agencies (Australia), major private organisations and not for profit organisations in tourism, hospitality, FMCG, forestry, major utilities and charity sectors.
- Essex & Kent Police – Professional development workshops (unconscious bias, environmental impacts and the changing face of Policing)
- Systech International – Professional development workshops (HRM, performance management, consulting skills)
- Department of Treasury and Finance – Learning and development, responsible service of alcohol programme development and training delivery
- Department of Economic Development, Tourism and the Arts – Workforce development projects, skilled migration advisory/research, workforce skills gaps analyses
- Department of Education and Training – Workforce skills analysis, Training Demand Profiles – Hospitality Sector
- Department of Employment, Industry and Training (Federal) – workforce skills analysis
- Federal Hotels – Leadership development, training and executive education, research (social impact of electronic gaming machines )
- Network Gaming – Leadership and management development programmes, armed robbery response programmes
- TTLine – Leadership development, change management, employee engagement consultant, HRM structure development
- CrippsNubake – HRM structure development
- Transend Networks – Diversity programme development, leadership development, strategic HRM structures (induction programmes, learning and development structure, performance management processes)
- Australian Hotels Association – Workforce development research, development of curriculum for schools, employer branding and education projects
Recent presentations and conferences
Range of conferences covering topics in HRM, industrial relations, workforce development, skills and learning, changing workforce demographics.
Better Workplaces Employer Kit
Terri has experience in developing materials for media consumption including print, TV news and radio (ABC Radio, Australia).