Senior Lecturer in the Department of Leadership and Management
Faculty:Lord Ashcroft International Business School
Jill Baldwin is an academic practitioner with a focus on human resource development, enhancing teaching and learning in higher education, corporate engagement and contemporary research to enhance the wellbeing of individuals at work.
Jill is currently a Senior Lecturer in the Leadership and Management Department and is responsible for managing the BSc Business Management course. She's also responsible for a number of undergraduate modules and their delivery on campus, by distance learning and through international partnerships across the globe. Jill is also a leading lecturer on the CIPD Postgraduate Diploma, facilitating the learning of HR practitioners.
Prior to entering academia, Jill spent over ten years in industry; working in various Training & Development Management roles for Barclays Bank PLC. She was one of the lead trainers to implement ‘Customer System’ training, which revolutionized and automated customer service and sales within the UK bank.
- Laughter Therapy & Happiness at Work
- Learning & Development
- Scholarship of Teaching & Learning
- Employability Skills of undergraduates
Jill is interested in how individuals achieve their potential and the intrinsic rewards associated with this which leads to personal success and an organisation’s competitive advantage through a positive and engaged workforce. She is in the early stages of PhD research, and is considering how happiness and performance are interrelated, especially the influence of leadership on happiness and organisational outcomes. She's also keen to qualify as a laughter therapist.
Areas of research supervision
Supervision of Undergraduate research topics include:
- The impact of e-learning in a Further Education College
- Does non mandatory training make a difference? A search for Transfer of Learning within an NHS Trust.
- An analysis of work placements and how they are perceived by employers, a university, and students.
- HRM and related issues:
- The effects of the absence of a HR Department
- Social Media and Recruitment
- How the use of incentives increase performance in a Call Centre
- Business Management
- How to make customer services a priority where there is little or no threat from rival suppliers
- Social Media and Marketing Strategy
Jill has experience in teaching across a diverse and broad range of HRM related topics at undergraduate and post-graduate level, and on corporate courses. These topics include:
- Understanding Work Based Learning & the Sector (Level 4)
- Managing People, Customers & Markets (Level 4)
- Work Based Practice (Level 4)
- Work Based Project (Level 5)
- Leadership in Practice (Level 5)
- Improving Organisational Performance (CIPD Intermediate) (Level 5)
- Developing Professional Practice & using Information in HR (CIPD Intermediate) (Level 5)
- Reflections on Practice & Career progression (Level 6)
- Major Work Based Project (Level 6)
- Learning & Development (CIPD) (Level 7)
- Resourcing & Talent Management (CIPD) (Level 7)
- Reflective Practitioner (MSc) (Level 7)
- MA in Human Resource Management (HRM) Anglia Ruskin University: 2010
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCEHE) Robert Gordon University: 2009
- Postgraduate Diploma in HRM (PgDip HRM) Anglia Ruskin University: 2005
- NVQ Level 4 in Management Colchester Institute: 2003
Memberships, editorial boards
- Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (MCIPD), since 2005
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, since: 2009