Prof Paula Groves
Senior Lecturer (Clinical Skills)
Faculty:Faculty of Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care
Department:School of Nursing and Midwifery
Areas of Expertise:
Nursing and midwifery
Paula is a qualified orthopaedic registered general nurse with over 15 years’ experience in trauma and elective orthopaedics, and ten years as an infection control link nurse.
Initially, Paula undertook a two-year diploma course in orthopaedics before training as a state enrolled nurse. She then gained experience in medicine for the elderly and cardiac care, before taking the conversion course to become a registered general nurse (RGN).
As an RGN, Paula for a year on general surgery before returning to orthopaedics nursing. She became an NVQ assessor before moving into teaching at Anglia Ruskin – training healthcare support workers before going on to pre-registration nurse training.
- Distance learning: interest in developing better use of resources and more user friendly methods for distance learning
- Infection control: antimicrobial resistance. Different approaches to care to reduce infections
- Orthopaedics: advances in orthopaedics diagnostics and early treatment to reduce impact of long-term conditions on joint integrity.
Paula is module leader for Principles of Orthopaedic Care and Prevention and Management of Infection. She also conducts lectures for pre-registration nursing modules and clinical skills teaching.
- MSC Medical and Health Care Education, Anglia Ruskin University, 2012
- Postgraduate Certificate, Medical and Health Care Education, Anglia Ruskin University
- BSc (Hons) Health and Social Care Practices, Anglia Ruskin University
- A1, APU/Edexcell, 2005
- V1, APU/Edexcell, 2005
- APU European Computer Driving Licence, Anglia Polytechnic University, 2003/4
- Certificate of Education, Anglia Polytechnic University, 2002/3
- D34 Internal Verifiers award, APU/Betec, 1996
- D32/D33 Assessors award, APU/BETEC, 1996
- ENB 998 Teaching and Assessing in Clinical Practice, Mid Essex Health Trust, 1995
- State Registered Nurse (conversion course), Southend Health Authority/ENB, 1990
- State Enrolled Nurse (ENG), Mid Essex Health Authority/ENB, 1985
- Orthopaedic Nursing Diploma, Black Notley, 1982