Professor of Social Work
Faculty:Faculty of Health, Social Care & Education
Department:School of Education & Social Care
Areas of Expertise:
Social Work and Social Policy
Maritta is interested in the ways people globally cope in their everyday life, gender- and age-related questions, with the help of social and health care systems. She is leading the project Reciprocal Encounters – Young People Leaving Care, funded by the EU during 2016-2018.
Follow Maritta on Twitter, or on her blog.
Maritta Törrönen is Professor of Social Work at the University of Helsinki, Faculty of Social Sciences and Department of Social Research. Her main research interests concern theory of reciprocity, global welfare society, communities, power relationships, everyday life and well-being, which have points of reference with social work and social policy, childhood, child protection, family research and ethnic studies.
Most recently, Maritta's research has been linked to international social work and proactive social work.
- Theory of reciprocity
- Welfare research
- Family research
- Childhood and child welfare research
- Youth research
- Ethnic relations
See Maritta’s earlier project Reciprocal Relationships and Construction of Well-Being during Critical Periods of Everyday Life (RePro), funded by Academy of Finland. The project consisted of a co-operative international network and four subprojects focused on child welfare, care of the elderly, ethnic relations, and unemployment of young people.
Areas of research supervision
Maritta would be pleased to consider supervising doctoral students with the following research interests/topics:
- Child welfare research
- Leaving care research.
Recent and current doctoral supervision as first supervisor:
- Prof Törrönen has extensive experience in supervising graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. She currently has 6 doctoral students under her supervision.
Completed doctoral theses:
- University of Helsinki (UH), Department of Social Research, Vaiettu biseksuaalisuus, (2015);
- University of Helsinki (UH), Department of Social Research, ‘Sosiaalisesti kontrolloitu, hauraasti autonominen’, (2015);
- (UH) ‘Dialogi auttavissa verkkopalveluissa - Sosiaali - ja terveysjärjestöjen ammattilaisten kertomuksia kommunikaatiosta’;
- (UH) ‘Street Children and Services: A Qualitative Study of Street Children in the Context of Service Delivery System in Bangladesh’;
- (UH) ‘Kansalaisuus työyhteisön arjessa – Maahanmuuttajien kertomuksia työelämästä’;
- (UH) ‘Monimuotoisuus ja esteettömyys-Näkövammaisten asiantuntijoiden työelämäkokemuksia’; (2009)
- (UH) ‘Siirtonaisena Singaporessa’, (2006);
- (UH) ‘Kohtaamisen kokemuksia epävarmuuden näyttämöllä-Kokemuksellinen ensitieto vammaisen lapsen syntyessä’, (2004);
- (UH) ‘Asiakas kuntoutuksen yhteistyöryhmässä – Institutionaalisen kohtaamisen jännitteitä (2003).
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- Working as Marie Curie Individual European Fellow at Anglia Ruskin University, Chelmsford, United Kingdom, back on 1st September 2018 in Finland