Dr Atif Sarwar
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Faculty:Faculty of Health, Social Care & Education
Areas of Expertise:
Health and social care
Atif’s main areas of interest are technology-led organisational change, and new organisational arrangements and models to develop integrated health care systems focusing on integrated forms of care provision.
Atif began working at Anglia Ruskin University in 2015 as a postdoctoral research fellow. Atif is part of a research team led by Dr. Anne Devlin, on a project funded by Health Education England and Anglia Ruskin University. The project is aimed at analysing the implementation of Integrated Care Teams in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough and identifying the strategic and operational enablers and/or barriers for system integration.
Before joining Anglia Ruskin University, Atif completed his doctorate at Essex Business School, University of Essex, in the area of information technology-led organisational and social change (the research was set in Social Work Children’s Services in the UK). Upon completing his doctorate, he was appointed as a research officer at Essex Business School on an externally funded (PROVIDE UK) project researching ‘Clinical and Service Integration’ in Mid-Essex.
- Socio-technical Systems
- Relationship between information systems and social and organisational change
- Theoretical issues in information systems research
- Theory of Integrated care
- Organisational and professional issues facilitating or hindering integrated working
Areas of research supervision
Atif would be pleased to consider supervising doctoral students with the following research interest/topics:
- Organisational change
- Organisational behaviour
- Healthcare change management
- PhD in Management Studies, Essex Business School, University of Essex (2010-2014)
- MSc IT, Management and Organisational Change, Lancaster University Management School, University of Lancaster (2007-2008)
- BSc Computer Science, National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences (FAST-NU), Islamabad (2002-2006)
Memberships, editorial boards
- Ad Hoc Reviewer for British Journal of Social Work
- Ad Hoc Reviewer for Academy of Management, Organisational Behaviour Division
- Ad Hoc Reviewer for European Conference on Information Systems.
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Academy of Management, Member
- British Academy of Management, Member
- Athens Institute for Education and Research, Member
Recent presentations and conferences
- Sarwar, A., 2017. Everyday Realities of Interprofessional Teamwork When Providing Integrated Care to Patients. Paper to be presented at 2nd Intl. Conference on Medical, Medicine, and Health Sciences, 11-12 February 2017, Rome, Italy.
- Sarwar, A. and Devlin, A., 2017. Struggling to Maintain Professional Identities When Engaging in Inter-professional Teamwork to Deliver Integrated Care. Paper to be presented at 17th International Conference on Integrated Care, 8-10 May 2017, Dublin, Ireland.
- Sarwar, A., 2017. Using Institutional Logics to understand the complexities of Inter-professional Teamwork when delivering Integrated Care in the UK. Paper to be presented at 15th Annual International Conference on Management, 26-29 June 2017, Athens, Greece.
- Sarwar, A., 2015. Technology Affording Changes in Social Work Professional Practices: Appropriating Integrated Children’s System (ICS) in three UK Social Work Organisations. Paper presented at the 13th Annual International Conference on Management, 29 June-2 July 2015, Athens, Greece.
- Martin, H., Sarwar, A. and South, N., 2015. Nobody in Charge? Clinical and Social Service Integration in Mid-Essex. Paper presented at WORK2015 – New Meanings of Work Conference, the second Interdisciplinary Conference on Research on Work, 19-21 August 2015, Turku, Finland.