9 September 2017, 10:45 - 11:45
2017 marks Anglia Ruskin’s 25th anniversary as a University, but its history dates back nearly 160 years, to the foundation of the Cambridge School of Art. The art school was the creation of a small group of Cambridge University dons and prominent townspeople, and was opened by John Ruskin in October 1858.
In this illustrated talk, Tony Kirby will trace how this evolved into today’s Anglia Ruskin, from its early home in the Guildhall, via the Drill Hall in East Road (1894) to its present site (albeit then rather tucked away from public view in Collier Road) in 1909: today’s Ruskin Building, although shared until 1940 with the County Girls School, before the latter moved to Long Road. By this time, ‘The Tech’ had become an important, respected and well-loved feature of the Cambridge scene.
As well as buildings, Tony will highlight some of the people who played a crucial role in the institution’s growth in the 19th and 20th centuries, the changing nature of its provision over the years and the role it has played in local, regional and national life.
This event is part of Open Cambridge, organised by University of Cambridge.