Your professional responsibility as a mentor
In accordance with the HCPC/CODP and NMC Mentor Standards for Learning and Assessment in Practice (2008), you will already have successfully completed an approved mentor preparation programme.
In order to keep your mentorship current, it is essential that you:
- participate in an annual (12 months) mentor update
- support and summatively assess two students within the two-year cycle
- participate in a biennial CODP standards review (see supporting document below).
Biennial review document for Operating Department Practitioners (Word document)
The following is guidance from the CODP.
Practice educators should:
- be working towards or have completed a first degree
- act as a sign off for the practice assessment
- oversee the student learning experience
- attend ODP education meetings
- take overall responsibility for the student's placement and mentor allocation.
To be assured of the quality of the future healthcare workforce it is also essential that:
- students are supervised by mentors who are positive role models
- students are supervised and assessed by mentors who support care that embraces the underpinning principles and values of the NHS Constitution and the 6Cs
- mentors encourage and inspire students to make a difference to patient care.