21 November 2017
We have quite a number of international students at ARU. I have talked to some of them and they struggle or feel scared that their English isn't very good, as it is not their mother language. As an international student, I am here to give you some tips!
1. Listen and memorise songs
2. Watch movies/tv shows with subtitles
Pay attention to new vocabulary and pronunciation.
3. Change your device settings
4. Change your virtual assistant settings
Switch your virtual assistant (Siri, Cortana, Alexa, Google Assistant, etc) to your new language so you can practice your pronunciation.
5. Talk to your classmates in English when you are not in class
6. Have a debate
Pick a topic that interests you and your friends. Then, try to use as much vocab as you can to debate in English.
7. Attend English plays, exhibitions, talks etc.
Events are organised by English-speaking schools or communities. We do have Cambridge Science Festival in March. Let's go!
8. Do some reading in English every day.
8 February 2019
Commuting can be hard at the best of times; public transport isn’t always reliable, and travelling to and from uni can take up so much time. For me, my trip into uni is a 160 mile round drive, taking up around 4 hours of my day on a good day! Luckily I only have uni twice a week… Read more…