Research and Innovation Development Office
Category: Research news
21 October 2015
The Medical Research Council (MRC) is pleased to announce the launch of refreshed Guidance for Applicants, published in a new and improved format.
The new guidance reflects feedback from a number of workshops held at the beginning of 2015, within the MRC and externally with research administrators at university research offices.
The main improvements to the guidance are:
- Hyperlinks from content pages
- Relevant forms made easier to find and download
- The option to print a PDF copy of the document
- More tables to make information easier to read
- Special considerations split into:
- Ethics and approvals
- Proposals involving animal use
- New and revised sections:
- Research council facilities updated to include Ion Beam Centre, University of Surrey (section 2.9)
- New guidance added on common reasons for returning applications to research offices (section 2.10)
- Updated guidance on application costing: please be aware that some historical data may have been removed (section 3)
- Updated guidance on costing of applications involving MRC units and institutes (NOT university units) (section 3.2)
- New guidance for eligible individuals from MRC University Units and the Francis Crick Institute who wish to apply for MRC grants as either a lead or co-applicant (section 3.3)
- New section: Research involving cohort resources (section 3.5)
In addition, a new 'Updates' section on the main page will inform you of any major changes made to the guidance and allow the MRC to keep the guidance fully up-to-date. These updates will be linked to the relevant section in the guidance to help you navigate to the relevant page. Copies of historical changes will also be available from this section.
Feel free to have a look through the pages to familiarise yourself with the refreshed format and the new and revised sections!
The MRC hopes the changes are helpful and would welcome your feedback. Please send any comments to their Research Funding Policy and Delivery team.