Research and Innovation Development Office
23 February 2018
The Joint Programming Initiative (JPI) in Urban Europe has joined forces with the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) to create a funding call in Sustainable and Liveable Cities and Urban Environments.
This is a pilot call, designed to "pave the way for a long-term collaboration:
- Increase connections between Chinese and European research and innovation communities on urban sustainability;
- Design and test a framework for cooperation and implementation of joint calls; and
- Initiate research and innovation projects to support the development of a long-term roadmap for joint calls and cooperation.
This call has been formulated with UN sustainable development goal 11 strongly in mind (regarding sustainable cities and communities). Four topics have been identified for project to be funded in this pilot call:
- Climate change and new urban economies
- Transformation of energy systems and strengthen urban circular economies
- Urban public administration and services innovation
- Urban data management.
If your interests are in any of these fields, please study the call text for the exact scope of each topic.
Consortia submitting project will have Chinese and European partners. At least two (and at most three) partners will be from (different) Chinese institutions. At least two will be from European institutions (from different countries). A Chinese lead and a European lead must be defined for coordination purposes.
Projects may be have either three- or four-year duration. UK funding is allocated through ESRC, and they expect to fund five to six projects with their budget of 2.15 million euros (ie the value UK contribution to projects is expected to be roughly 400,000 euros, but can be flexible). Chinese partners will be funded by NSFC, and other European partners will be funded by national funders.
Register by: 12 April 2018
Webinar: 6 March, 9-10am CET (8-9am GMT)
Matchmaking platform: available now, and until registration closes
Deadline: 20 June 2018