24 April 2017
A rare and exciting opportunity has arisen to take part in a sandpit-style workshop run by two major charities: Arthritis Research UK and Cancer Research UK.
The Immune Homeostasis Innovation Workshop will allocate places on a competitive basis, and at the end of the workshop will make seed funding awards (up to £45,000, up to 1 year) to successful participants.
The sandpit is an intensive three-day workshop, during which multidisciplinary teams will tackle various problems within the area of immune homeostasis. The organisers say that it will be a chance to:
- network and form new collaborations spanning diverse research areas and organisations
- work in broad, multidisciplinary teams to generate new and innovative research ideas
- pitch projects for seed funding to test the feasibility of their ideas.
Researchers already working on arthritis or cancer are welcome to apply, though the call is also open to a much broader range of disciplines. The organisers welcome applications from: "immunologists, physical scientists, healthcare professionals, engineers, and those working in the digital and technology space", and do not restrict the call to these named areas.
We recognise this as a chance to broaden your research horizons considerably, and make connections in diverse fields whether or not you are successful with a project idea. Selection for the workshop will be strict, so do take time over your applications, especially on the aspects mentioned on the opportunity page:
"Applicants do not need a specific expertise or background but must be:
- Creative, open-minded, and able to work effectively as part of a team
- Willing to engage with those working in other disciplines from a variety of backgrounds, and other key stakeholders
- Able to attend all 3 days of the workshop
- Based in the UK."
The workshop will be held 18-20 July, and your deadline to apply is 12 noon, 3 May 2017.