Accreditation of Prior Learning
If you have relevant qualifications at higher education level or relevant work experience, you may be eligible for advanced entry (for example, year 2 entry to one of our undergraduate degrees) via our Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) scheme.
Examples of the most common forms of APL include:
- recognised credit-rated modules/units at a college or university
- professionally-recognised qualifications
- relevant work experience.
You should first meet the standard entry criteria for the course you want to apply for. These are provided in our online prospectus. Suitability for APL (whether based on qualifications or experience) is assessed on an individual basis and you will be measured against the following.
- Compatibility of content, learning outcomes and level of your previous studies with that of the Anglia Ruskin course.
- Your academic achievement, as evidenced by the grades on your transcript.
- Reference and personal statement describing the ways in which you have kept up-to-date with information and current practices in your chosen subject area.
- The credit equivalence of your previous studies: most of our full-time undergraduate courses consist of 120 Anglia Ruskin University credits per academic year, or 60 ECTS credits under the European credit transfer and accumulation system. Our Masters courses consist of 180 Anglia Ruskin University credits.
Application process for the Accreditation of Prior Certificated Learning (APCL)
Before you apply
If you are seeking admission with prior learning based on APCL, you cannot be granted more than two-thirds of the total credit requirement for the course on which you wish to register. The marks or grades obtained from accredited prior learning do not contribute to the determination of the classification of your Anglia Ruskin award.
You will need to have the following documentation to be considered for APCL.
- Full official transcript of your previous study detailing the module breakdown and the grades you have achieved.
- For complete qualifications: certificate(s) confirming the award.
- For qualifications still to be completed: a list of pending modules with associated credit weightings.
- Certified translations of documents that are in a language other than English.
- In addition, we may request a syllabus outlining the content, learning outcomes and level of your previous studies.
- We expect that your previous accredited learning will have been completed within the last five years. If this is not the case, we will ask for evidence of how you have kept your knowledge up-to-date, including:
- CV: covering your employment history since qualifying, detailing how you have maintained learning and giving a list of completed continuing professional development (CPD) activities, with certificates if available
- reflective statement: explaining how you have maintained learning in the subject area you wish to study at Anglia Ruskin University. We generally expect between 750 and 1,000 words
- employer reference (on letter headed paper): from your most recent employer detailing how your job (and associated CPD) have enabled you to keep up-to-date with information and current practices in your chosen subject area.
Making your application
- There are different methods of application depending on your choice of course. Please follow our guidance on how to apply.
- Whichever method of application you use, please indicate that you are applying for APL by specifying the year of entry you are applying for or mentioning it in your personal statement. You should give details of your study at higher education level and relevant experience.
- Depending on your method of application, you may be able to attach documents to your application, or you can send the documents after submitting your application. If we do not receive documents with your application we will contact you shortly afterwards to ask for the documents outlined above.
If you would like help with your application, please email email@example.com (for UK/EU applicants) or firstname.lastname@example.org (for international applicants).
Course of study
- Details of courses offered by Anglia Ruskin University can be found in our online prospectus.
- We will consider applications for advanced entry for most of our courses. Please see the Faculty tab for your course for further information.
- Applications for APCL should only be submitted on the basis of previous study in the same subject area.
Employers and APL
To find out how APL could benefit your employees and provide recognition for your in-house training programmes, contact our Degrees at Work Team.
All APL applications are considered individually, so the review process may take longer than our published turnaround times. Thank you in advance for your patience.