Department of English and Media
Reasons to study......in our Department:
- 'Internationally excellent' and 'world-leading' research (UK Research Assessment Exercise 2008)
- With a focus on the development of skills valued highly by employers and an emphasis on employability, our courses provide an excellent preparation for careers
- Internationally acclaimed guest speakers
- Excellent research-active lecturers
...on a Film or Media course:
- Our Film and Media courses ranked in the top quarter of The Guardian League Table 2014
- In the most recent National Student Survey (2014), our BA (Hons) Film Studies achieved 95% for 'The teaching on my course', and our BA (Hons) Media Studies was awarded 100% for 'The teaching on my course', 98% for 'Academic support', 97% for 'Organisation and management' and 'Learning resources' and 95% for 'Personal development' and 'Overall satisfaction'
- Practical modules taught by professional practitioners
- Our courses integrate theory and practice with vocational relevance and experience
- Excellent links with creative industries
- Study abroad opportunities in America, Denmark, France and Italy
...on an English, Writing or Publishing course:
- Our BA (Hons) English Literature degree ranked in the top third of The Guardian League Table 2014
- In the National Student Survey 2014, our BA (Hons) English Literature achieved 94% for 'The teaching on my course', our BA (Hons) Writing and English Literature was awarded 97% for 'Learning resources' and 92% for 'Overall satisfaction', and our BA (Hons) Writing and Film Studies achieved 93% for 'The teaching on my course'
- On our MA Publishing course you can gain valuable work experience at companies such as Cambridge University Press or Shakespeare and Company. You might also be eligible for our Stationers bursary or Cambridge University Press scholarship
- Our Royal Literary Fund Fellowship Scheme mentors are always on hand to advise and support your writing projects
...on an English Language or Intercultural Communication course:
- We have over 50 years of EFL teaching experience
- Our English Language provision ranked in the top third of The Guardian League Table 2014
- In the National Student Survey 2014, our BA (Hons) English Language and English Language Teaching achieved 97% for 'The teaching on my course', and our BA (Hons) English Language and Linguistics achieved 100% for 'Overall Satisfaction'
- Over 500 EFL students from over 40 countries each year
- Subject to adequate academic progression, students graduating from our BA (Hons) English Language and English Language Teaching degree receive two awards: BA (Hons) English Language Teaching and CELTA, the most widely taken English language teaching qualification
Please use the menu to the left to navigate our website. Enjoy your visit!
Our associated research clusters (follow images to visit website):