History of Anglia Ruskin University

In 1991 Anglia was granted Polytechnic status, becoming Anglia Polytechnic. In 1992, the Privy Council awarded University status, thus forming Anglia Polytechnic University. In October 2005, the Privy Council approved a change of name to Anglia Ruskin University.

Before 1991, Anglia Ruskin was formed from various institutions in Cambridge and Chelmsford. Past students from all these institutions are eligible to join the Anglia Ruskin Alumni Association, provided they finished their courses. See below for details of our prior institutions.

Cambridge
image of ruskin building
  • 1858 John Ruskin opened a School of Art in Sidney Street to "teach the citizens of Cambridge to apply practical skills with a sense of beauty"
  • 1862 The School of Art moved to the Guildhall
  • 1889 The Institute for Technical Education was built in East Road
  • 1909 The Cambridge & County School of Arts, Crafts and Technology was opened in Collier Road
  • 1940 The Institute for Technical Education was renamed the Cambridgeshire Technical College
  • 1960 The Cambridgeshire Technical College and the Cambridge & County School of Arts, Crafts & Technology became the Cambridgeshire College of Arts & Technology - CCAT
  • 1989 CCAT and the Essex Institute of Higher Education became statutory corporations and then merged to become Anglia Higher Education College
Chelmsford
  • 1893 Mr H Baskett held adult Further Education classes for 50 students in Crane Court
  • 1904 Lord Rayleigh laid a foundation stone in Market Road for the first purpose built FE buildings in Chelmsford
  • 1931 New buildings went up on the Victoria Road South site
  • 1935 The Mid-Essex Technical College & School of Art was established
  • 1976 The Mid-Essex Technical College and Brentwood College of Education merged to form the Chelmer Institute of Higher Education
  • 1984 The Chelmer Institute became the Essex Institute of Higher Education
  • 1989 The Essex Institute of Higher Education and CCAT became statutory corporations and then merged to become Anglia Higher Education College

Bookmark this page with: