Professor Richard Aspinall BSc PhD DSc FHEA FRCP (Edin) FRCPath
Director, Health & Wellbeing Academy, Anglia Ruskin University
Richard is a recognised expert in the area of age associated immune deficiencies and issues concerning vaccination in older people. He is a member of the British Society for Immunology, the British Transplantation Society and the British Society for Research on Ageing. He has been a Member of MRC College of Experts, a member of the Board of the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Postgraduate Medical School, Chairman of the British Society for Research on Ageing and a consultant for several major pharmaceutical companies. He was appointed a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in 2007, a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (Edin) in 2012 and a Fellow of the Royal College of Pathology in 2014. In 2015 he was awarded the Lord Cohen medal for his contribution to research on ageing.
His current research has two overarching goals; the first is to understand basic mechanisms of the ageing process in particular those which lead to a decline in the immune system and which may be manipulated to improve health. The second is to develop technological answers to many of the issues associated with monitoring the health status of older individuals in an ageing population.
- Lang PO, Aspinall R. Can We Translate Vitamin D Immunomodulating Effect on Innate and Adaptive Immunity to Vaccine Response? (2015) Nutrients 7(3):2044-2060.
- Bürkle A, Moreno-Villanueva M, Bernhard J, Blasco M, Zondag G, Hoeijmakers J, Toussaint O, Grubeck-Loebenstein B, Mocchegiani E, Collino S, Gonos S, Sikora E, Gradinaru D, Dolle M, Salmon M, Kristensen P, Griffiths H, Libert C, Grune T, Breusing N, Simm A, Franceschi C, Capri M, Talbot D, Caiafa P, Friguet B, Slagboom E, Hervonnen A, Hurme M, Aspinall R. MARK-AGE Biomarkers of Ageing. (2015) Mech Ageing Dev. 15:00031-7
- Lang P.O. & Aspinall R., “Vaccination in the Elderly; what can be recommended” Drugs and Ageing (2014) 8:581-99.
- Aspinall R. & Lang P.O. “Vaccine responsiveness in the elderly: best practise for the clinic” (2014) Expert Reviews 7:885-94
- Hegedus, A., Nyamweya S., Zhang Y., Govind S., Aspinall R., Mashanova A., Jansen V., Whittle H., Jaye A., Flanagan K., MacallanD.” Protection Versus Pathology in Aviremic and High Viral Load HIV-2 Infection-The Pivotal Role of Immune Activation and T-cell Kinetics” (2014) J. Inf Dis. 210:752-61
- Aspinall R., Lapenna A, B-Lynch C., and Lang PO “Cellular signalling pathways in immune ageing and regeneration” (2014) Biochem. Soc. Trans 42:651-6
- Lang PO Govind S., ten Bokum A., Kenny N., Matas E., Pitts D., Aspinall R., “Immune senescence and vaccination in the elderly” Curr Top Med Chem (2014) 210:752-61
- Aspinall R., Govind S., Lapenna A., Mitchell W.A., Lang P.O. “Dose response kinetics of CD8 lymphocytes from young animals transfused into old animals and challenged with influenza.” ( 2013) Immunity & Ageing 10; 34
- Lapenna A., B-Lynch C., Kapeni C., and Aspinall R., “A simple model enabling human CD34+ cells to undertake differentiation towards T cells” (2013) PLoS one 8:e69572
- Pitts DG Patel MG Sinclair AJ and Aspinall R “A respiratory monitoring device based on clavicular motion” (2013) Physiological Measurement 34 N51-N61
- Aspinall R., and Lang PO “The avalanche is coming… and it’s starting to snow” Frontiers in Immunology (2013) 4:165
- Lang PO, Govind S, Dramé M, Aspinall R. “Measuring the TREC ratio in dried blood spot samples: Intra- and inter-filter paper cards reproducibility”. (2013) J Immunol Methods. 389: 1-8
- Lang P.O. Samaras N., Samaras D., and Aspinall R “How important is Vitamin D in preventing infections” (2013) Osteoporosis international 24:1537-53
- Lang P.O Govind S., and Aspinall R Immunosenescence (L’immunosenesence) (2012) NPG Neurologie-Psychiatrie-Geriatrie 1270: 171-181
- Lang P.O Govind S., Drame M and Aspinall R (2012) Comparison of manual and automated DNA purification for measuring TREC in dried blood spot (DBS) samples with qPCR J. Imm. Methods 369:133-40.
- Lang P.O., Govind S., and Aspinall R. (2012) Effectiveness of vaccines in the elderly NPG Neurologie-Psychiatrie-Geriatrie 12 69:121-130.
- Lang P.O Govind S., and Aspinall R “Reversing T cell immunosenescence; why who and how” (2012) Age 35:609-20.
- Govind S., Lapenna A., Lang PO., & Aspinall R “Immunotherapy of Immunosenesence; Who, How and When” (2012) Open Longevity Science, 6: 56-63.
- Mitchell WA, Castells A, Lang PA, Matas E, Lapenna A., & Aspinall R “Pulmonary delivery of Interleukin 7 provides efficient and safe delivery to the aging immune system”. (2012) Rejuvenation Research 15:414-22.
- Lang P.O, Mendes A., Assir, N., Govind S., & Aspinall R. “Effectiveness of influenza vaccine in aging and older adults: comprehensive analysis of the data” (2012) Clinical Interventions in Aging 7:55-64
- Lang P.O. and Aspinall R., Immunosenescence and herd immunity: with an ever-increasing aging population do we need to rethink vaccine schedules? (2012) Expert Rev Vaccines 2:167-76.
- Aspinall R., Prentice A.M. and Ngom P.T. “Interleukin 7 from maternal milk crosses the intestinal barrier and modulates T-cell development in offspring.” (2011) PLoS one 6: 6, e20812
- Ngom PT., Solon J., Moore SE, Morgan G., Prentice AM., & Aspinall R., “Thymic function and T cell parameters in a natural human experimental model of seasonal infectious diseases and nutritional burden” (2011) J. Biomed. Sci. 18 :41
- Lang PO., Govind S, Mitchell WA, Aspinall R. Real time-PCR assay estimating the naive T-cell pool in whole blood and dried blood spot samples: Pilot study in young adults" (2011) J. Imm. Methods 369(1-2):133-40.
- Lang PO., Govind S, Michel J.P. Aspinall R Mitchell WA, “Immunosenescence: Implications for vaccination programmes in adults” (2011) Maturitas 68 322-330
- Lang PO., Govind S, Mitchell WA, Siegrist CA, Aspinall R. “Vaccine effectiveness in older individuals. What have we learned from the influenza vaccine experience” (2010) Aging Research Reviews 10:389-95
- Aspinall R & Goronzy JJ “Immune Senescence” (2010) Current Opinion in Immunology 22 497-499
- Lang P.O., Govind S. Mitchell WA. Kenny N., Lapenna A., Pitts D and Aspinall R., “Influenza vaccine effectiveness in aged individuals: The role played by cell mediated immunity” (2010) European Geriatric Medicine 1 (4), 233-238
- Mitchell W., Lang P.O. & Aspinall R “Tracing thymic output in older individuals” (2010) Clin Exp Imm. 161, 497–503,
- Lang P.O., Mitchell W., Lapenna A., Pitts D., Aspinall R., “Immunological pathogenesis of main age-related diseases and frailty: Role of immunosenescence” (2010) European Geriatric Medicine 1 112-121.
- Aspinall R Pitts D, Lapenna A, Mitchell W. “Immunity in the Elderly and the role of the thymus” (2010) J Comp Pathol. 142 :S111-5.
More publications, please check: