Dr Dingchang Zheng, BEng, PhD
Senior Lecturer in Medical Technology
Health & Wellbeing Academy, Anglia Ruskin University
Dr Dingchang Zheng received his B.Eng. degree in Biomedical Engineering from Zhejiang University, China, in 2002, and the Ph.D. degree in Medical Physics from Newcastle University, UK, in 2006. Currently, he is the course leader of MSc in Medical Technology at Anglia Ruskin University, and has particular interests in the research, development and evaluation of novel procedures, medical techniques and devices for the benefit of patients suffering from heart disease or circulatory problems, including blood pressure and arterial compliance measurements and their applications in tele-healthcare.
Dr Zheng is the winner of the Martin Black Annual Prize for the best article published in ‘Physiological Measurement’ in 2011, one of the four international finalists for the Rosanna Degani Young Investigator Award 2009, Computing in Cardiology, Park City, USA, and also the only winner of Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) JA Lodge Award 2009 for ‘Recognizing and Promoting Outstanding Work in the Field of Research and Development in Medical Engineering’.
Dr Zheng is the lead guest editor of ‘Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine’ for a special issue of ‘Advances in Cardiovascular Signal Processing’, the editorial board member of the Proceedings of Computing in Cardiology since 2011, and the invited editor of several international journals, including the ‘Medicine’ and ‘Scientific Reports’. He was also the organising committee member of the international conference of Computing in Cardiology 2011 at Zhejiang University, China. He serves as an expert in the reviewer boards for >20 journals and research councils.
- Lara, J., Ogbonmwan, I., Oggioni, C., Zheng, D., Qadir, O., Brandt, K., Mathers, J., and Siervo, M. (2015). Effects of handgrip exercise or beetroot juice on blood pressure, peripheral arterial function and ADMA in overweight older adults: a pilot RCT. Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging, In press.
- Li, P., Liu, C.Y., Sun, X., Zheng, D., Wang, X.P., Liu, C.C., and Hou, Y.L. (2015). Assessing the complexity of short-term heartbeat interval series by distance distribution entropy. Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, 53, pp77-87.
- Zheng, D., Di Marco, L.Y., and Murray, A. (2014). Effect of respiration on Korotkoff sounds and oscillometric cuff pressure pulses during blood pressure measurement. Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, 52, pp 467-473.
- Zheng, D., Pan, F., and Murray, A. (2014) Confirmation of the need to evaluate devices that measure BP during cuff inflation with manual measurements during normal deflation. Blood Pressure Monitoring, 19, pp120-121.
- Liu, C.Y., Zheng, D., Zhao, L.N., and Liu, C.C. (2014). Gaussian fitting for carotid and radial artery pressure waveforms: comparison between normal subjects and heart failure patients. Bio-medical Materials and Engineering, 24, pp271-277.
- Pan, F., Zheng, D., He, P., and Murray, A. (2014) Does the position or contact pressure of the stethoscope make any difference to clinical blood pressure measurements: an observational study. Medicine, 93, e301.
- Liu, C.Y., Zhuang, T., Zhao, L.N., Chang, F.L., Liu, C.C., Wei, S.S., Li, Q.Q., and Zheng, D. (2014). Analysis of arterial pressure waveforms using Gaussians and two-stage particle swarm optimizer. BioMed Research International, Article ID 923260. doi:10.1155/2014/923260
- Chen, Z., Mao, L., Liu, C.Y., Blake, J., and Zheng, D. (2014). Decreased peripheral arterial volume distensibility in patients with branch retinal vein occlusion in comparison with normal subjects. Scientific Reports, Article ID 6685. doi: 10.1038/srep06685.
- Gu, G., Yang, L., Liu, C., Zhang, S., and Zheng, D. (2014). Age and blood pressure associated changes in the Gaussian modelling characteristics of the photoplethysmographic pulse. Experimental & Clinical Cardiology, 20, pp4943-4951.
- Wang, A., Yang, L., Liu, C., Cui, J., Li, Y., Yang, X., Zhang, S., and Zheng, D. (2014). Athletic differences in the characteristics of the photoplethysmographic pulse shape: Effect of maximal oxygen uptake and maximal muscular voluntary contraction. BioMed Research International, Article ID 752470. doi:10.1155/2014/752470
- Li, P., Liu, C.Y., Wang, X.P., Zheng, D., Li, Y., and Liu, C.C. (2014). A low-complexity data-adaptive approach for premature ventricular contraction recognition. Signal, Image and Video Processing, 8, pp111-120.
- Di Maria, C., Liu, C.Y., Zheng, D., Langley, P., and Murray, A. (2014). Extracting the foetal heart rate from maternal abdominal recordings: Selection of the optimal principal component. Physiology Measurement, 35, pp1649-1664.
- Zheng, D., Pan, F., and Murray, A. (2013). Effect of mechanical behaviour of the brachial artery on blood pressure measurement during both cuff inflation and cuff deflation. Blood Pressure Monitoring, 18, pp265-271.
- Liu, C.Y., Zheng, D., Murray, A., and Liu, C.C. (2013). Modelling carotid and radial artery pulse pressure waveforms by curve fitting with Gaussian functions. Biomedical Signal Processing, 8, pp449-454.
- Liu, C.Y., Zheng, D., Li, P., Li, B., Murray, A., and Liu, C.C. (2013). Elastic properties of peripheral arteries in heart failure patients in comparison with normal subjects. Journal of Physiology Science, 65, pp195-201.
- Liu, C.Y., Li, K., Zhao, L., Liu, F., Zheng, D., Liu, C., and Liu, S. (2013). Analysis of heart rate variability using fuzzy measure entropy. Computers in Biology and Medicine, 43, pp100-108.
- Zheng, D., Giovannini, R., and Murray, A. (2012). Effect of respiration, talking and small body movements on blood pressure measurement. Journal of Human Hypertension, 26, pp458-462.
- Xia, L., Zheng, D., Murray, A., Liu, F., Ye, X., and Ning, G. (2012). Cardiovascular System Modeling, editorial. Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, doi:10.1155/2012/583172
- Di Marco, L.Y., Duan, W., Bojarnejad, M., Zheng, D., King, S., Murray, A., and Langley, P. (2012). Evaluation of an algorithm based on single-condition decision rules for binary classification of 12-lead ambulatory ECG recording quality. Physiology Measurement, 33, pp1435-1348.
- Liu, C., Li, L., Zhao, L., Zheng, D., Li, P., and Liu, C.C. (2012). A combination method of improved impulse rejection filter and template matching for identification of anomalous intervals in electrocardiographic RR sequences. Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, 32, pp245-250.
- Zheng, D., Amoore, J.N., Mieke, S., and Murray, A. (2011). How important is the recommended slow cuff pressure deflation rate for blood pressure measurement? Annuals of Biomedical Engineering, 39, pp2584-2591.
- Zheng, D., and Murray, A. (2011). Peripheral arterial volume distensibility: significant differences with age and blood pressure measured using an applied external pressure. Physiological Measurement, 32, pp499-512.
- Zheng, D., Amoore, J.N., Mieke, S., and Murray, A. (2011). Estimation of mean arterial pressure from the oscillometric cuff pressure: comparison of different techniques. Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, 49, pp33-39.
- Zheng, D., and Murray, A. (2009). Non-invasive quantification of peripheral arterial volume distensibility and its non-linear relationship with arterial pressure. Journal of Biomechanics, 42, pp1032-1037.
- Zheng, D., Allen, J., and Murray, A. (2008). Determination of aortic valve opening time and left ventricular peak filling rate from the peripheral pulse amplitude in patients with ectopic beats. Physiological Measurement, 29, pp1411-1419.
- Zheng, D., Allen, J., and Murray, A. (2007). Non-invasive in vivo assessment of changes in peripheral arterial properties with estimation of arterial volume compliance. Physiological Measurement, 28, pp1317-1327.
For more publications, please check