Travel, shifts, holidays
Travel to your practice placement
It is important to consider the following before starting the course:
- Many students may find that they have to travel a distance to their placement
- Student will have to bear the cost of the travel to their placement
- It is not possible to give every student a placement that involves limited travel
- Our Paramedic placements include the East of England and London, in rural and urban areas
- While we make every effort to minimise the travelling distance involved, it is important that you are prepared to travel and that you have considered the implications of this
- Personal/domestic issues should be planned well in advance to accommodate travelling times. It is a professional requirement that you are punctual and reliable
- It would be advantageous to have your our transport, or access to a car to facilitate your travel to placements, as it is not always possible to rely on public transport.
During the course students will be required to experience all shift patterns; this will also include working weekends, bank holidays and night shifts (including early mornings). Personal/domestic issues should be planned well in advance to accommodate all shift patterns. Healthcare science students will do a fixed week working pattern of 38 hours over 5 days, Monday to Friday.
Students are allocated annual leave throughout the course and this is clearly labelled on the timetable. Only in very exceptional circumstances can this be changed and only by prior agreement with the Course Leader.