Dr Vijay Reddy
Deputy Head of the Department for Marketing, Enterprise and Tourism
Faculty:Lord Ashcroft International Business School
Department:Marketing, Enterprise and Tourism Staff - beta version
Vijay's research and international engagement focus on some of the key challenges facing the real-world of business and society, which enrich our student learning, satisfaction and their understanding of current issues.
Maharaj Vijay Reddy is the Deputy Head of the Department for Marketing, Enterprise and Tourism within our Lord Ashcroft International Business School. Previously, he worked as a Principal Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Lecturer in the Faculty of Management at Bournemouth University. Before joining Bournemouth, Vijay worked as a post-doc Research Associate at the Kent Business School, University of Kent and was associated with projects and events supported by the British Academy and European Commission. Vijay gained his PhD from the University of Exeter.
Vijay has completed a range of projects that were generously supported by national and international organizations: e.g. UNESCO (2002-03), Rufford-Whitley Nature Conservation (2002), Royal Geographic Society (2004), UNESCO (2005), British Academy (2009), HEIF (2010-12) and the Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation (2013). His research explored the disaster impacts and recovery following the 2004 Asian and 2011 Japanese tsunamis. He was one of the co-applicants to set up the BU Centre for Green Knowledge Economy. His projects for UNESCO resulted in the inscription of natural and cultural properties on the prestigious UNESCO List. He is currently engaged in improving business resilience and socio-economic revival in the much disputed region of Kashmir. Vijay's papers appear in key tourism journals including Tourism Management as well as in publications circulated by organizations such as UNESCO. He was invited to high-level meetings organised by several international organizations including UNEP, UNESCO, UNWTO, UNITAR, and UN Secretariat to talk about sustainability issues.
- Sustainable Development and Green Economy
- Business Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility
- Strategic Management and Marketing
- Sustainable Tourism
- Crisis Management
Areas of research supervision
- Life Cycle Analysis – Low Carbon Future
- Green Strategy and CSR
- Tourism Planning and Management
- World Heritage Sites and Protected Areas
- Small Island Developing States
- Disaster Management
- Space Tourism
- Strategic Management, Services Marketing and Sustainable Tourism
- Experienced Supervisors Certificate for Doctoral Supervision, Bournemouth University
- PhD Sustainable Tourism, University of Exeter
- Masters in Tourism Administration / MBA-Tourism, Pondicherry University India
- BA in History, University of Madras India
Selected recent publications
Journal Articles, Chapters and Reports:
- Hannam, K and Reddy, M.V. (2015) ‘Neoliberalism and the Joint Management of Tourism in India’s National Parks’. (Book chapter) In Mosedale, J.T, Neoliberalism in Tourism. London: Routledge.
- Reddy. M.V and Wilkes, K (2015) ‘Tourism in the Green Economy: Rio to Post-2015’ (pp 3-31). In Reddy, M.V and Wilkes, K., ‘Tourism in the Green Economy’. London: Routledge.
- Reddy, M.V (2013) ‘Global Tourism and Travel Industry: Performance During the Double-Dip Recession and Recommendations for Transition to a Green Economy’. The World Financial Review. Jan-Feb Edition (pp 26-31).
- Filimonaua. V, Dickinson. J, Robbins. D and Reddy, M.V. (2013). ‘The role of 'indirect' greenhouse gas emissions in tourism: assessing the hidden carbon impacts’. Journal of Transportation Research (Part A). Vol 54, pp 78-91.
Recent presentations and conferences
- Keynote presentation on “Socio-economic revival and peace building in Kashmir through tourism”, at the Vice-Chancellors’ Consortium organised by Conciliation Resources (1-2 Nov 2014); Istanbul, Turkey.
- Keynote speaker for an international conference organised by Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute attached to the Indraprastha University Delhi; 12-15 Feb 2014) (Title: Green Economy: Opportunities and Challenges for Tourism and Hospitality).
- Keynote speaker for an international conference at the Pondicherry University, India (18-21 Feb 2014) (Title: Tourism and Natural Disasters: Lessons from the 2004 Asian and 2011 Tohoku tsunamis).
- Keynote speaker (via video conference) on ‘World Heritage and Tourism’ at a conference organised by the Institute for Tourism Studies, Macao (21 March 2013).
- Reddy, M.V, and Saini, P (2013) ‘Space tourism prospects and perspectives of potential consumers from fast developing countries: a case study from Mumbai, India’. Paper presented at the Inaugural India International Hotel, Travel & Tourism Research Conference: Examining and Debating Trends, Challenges and Issues. 28 Jan- 1st Feb, New Delhi.
BBC TV, BBC Radio and Wall Street Journal