Lester Lloyd-Reason is Professor of International Enterprise Strategy.
Lester has developed numerous research projects for the European Union Phare-ACE, has been in receipt of personal research grants from the British Academy and the Soros Foundation and has previously been Expert Academic Adviser to the OECD on SME Internationalisation. He has led projects to promote entrepreneurship in Romania, South Africa, Nigeria, Singapore and the Philippines. He is a Visiting Professor at Plymouth University and is a Fellow of the Institute of Enterprise and Entrepreneurs (FIOEE). In the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, his work was judged to have ‘world leading’ impact. Outside of the academic world, Lester is a semi-professional musician, a former Chairman of Menagerie Theatre Company and joint-founder and director of the Cambridge Floating Wine Company.
- Entrepreneurial management
- Enterprise development
- Entrepreneurship education
- SME Internationalisation
Areas of research supervision
- Internationalisation of Service Sector Firms (Director of Studies) (Completed with minor revisions)
- The Entrepreneurial Personality (Director of Studies) (Completed with no revisions)
- Systemic Barriers to Entrepreneurship in Zimbabwe (Current - Director of Studies)
- Internationalisation through e-commerce (Current – Director of Studies)
- Performance Measurement and Management in International SMEs (Current - Director of Studies)
- The relevance of strategic human resource management (SHRM) for the growing small business (The University of Western Australia)
- What drives superior performance when firms internationalise? (The University of Western Australia)
- ‘Born Global Enough?’: The Continuum from ‘Traditional Incremental’ to ‘Born Global’ Exporters in Western Australian Firms. (The University of Western Australia)
- Unbundling the notion of opportunity identification: The impact of uncertainty on the identification, evaluation and exploitation of new opportunities (University of Lincoln)
- The marketing of SMEs within the Oman Oil industry (University of Surrey)
- External Examiner for DBA, Birmingham City University
- University Chair of PhD viva voce examinations (6)
- Strategic Management
- Enterprise Development
- Managing Tomorrows Company
- SME Internationalisation
- BA (Hons) Business Studies, Sheffield Hallam University
- Masters in Business Administration, Kingston University
- PhD Romanian Academy of Economic Studies
Memberships, editorial boards
- Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship, Board of Trustees
- International Small Business Journal, Editorial Board
- Fellow of Institute of Enterprise and Entrepreneurs
- Member of the Editorial Board, International Journal of Business Excellence (IJBEX)
- Member of the Editorial Board, Review of International Comparative Management, published by the Romanian World Bank Centre for Comparative Management Studies, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest.
- Member of the International Editorial Board, Narodostopanski Archive, published by the Academy of Economics, Svishtov, Bulgaria.
- Occasional referee for: Government and Policy (UK)
- Occasional referee for: Small Business Research (New Zealand)
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- 2013 – ABSA - Contract Duration: 15 months Award £391, 217
- 2012 - UK Trade and Investment South Africa - Contract duration: 7 months Award: £20,000
- 2010 - Romanian Ministry of Labour - Contact Duration: 36 months. Award: 973,000 euros (total contract 4m euros) - Title: ANTREMAN
Selected recent publications
Lloyd-Reason, L. and Miller, L. (2013) ‘The interplay of entrepreneurial cognition and internal stakeholders’, The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, Vol 19, No 2.
Lloyd-Reason, L., Deprey, B. & Ibeh, K (2012) ‘The Internationalisation of Small and Medium Sized Management Consultancies: An Exploratory Study of Key Facilitating Factors’, The Service Industries Journal, Vol 32, No 9-10, ISSN 0264 2069
Recent presentations and conferences
2013, ‘Entrepreneurship Education: The importance of university-private sector partnerships’, speech to the Association of African Universities (AAU) Workshop on Systemic Entrepreneurship and the key roles of Universities, Accra, Ghana.
2013, ‘Is our Research Relevant? A Reflection on the Contribution to Policy, Process and Practice’, with Leigh Sear, Opening and Closing Planary sessions, Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (ISBE), Cardiff.
2013, ‘Entrepreneurship Education: Developing a Cross-Capus solution’, 3-day workshop for the Nigerian Association of Universities, Abeokuta, Nigeria.
2011, ‘Challenging Times Require Challenging Solutions: The Role of Enterprise Education and the Need for a Modern Approach’, Key Note Speech to the International Conference on Modern Approaches in Organisational Management and Economy, Bucharest Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest.
2010, ‘Business Schools and The Challenges of the 21st Century: Time for a Rethink’, Key Note Speech to the International Conference on Modern Approaches in Organisational Management, Bucharest Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest.
Various interviews over many years by radio and television including live TV interviews and participation in live TV shows in the UK, South Africa, Ghana and Nigeria