Dr Maria Karafyllia
Senior Lecturer in Strategic Management
Faculty:Lord Ashcroft International Business School
Department:Marketing, Enterprise and Tourism
Maria teaches Strategic Management and her research examines how organisational learning enables firms to create innovative products and services as well as how organisational learning enhances the discovery, evaluation and exploitation of international opportunities.
- Organisational learning
- The role of domestic market for the internationalising firm
- Organisational ambidexterity
- Exploration and exploitation of international opportunities
- Microfoundations of dynamic capabilities
- Experimental methodology
Areas of research supervision
- How do individual-, team-, and organisational-level qualities of organisational learning interact during the course of creation and capture of international entrepreneurial opportunities?
- How does the relationship between organisational learning and international opportunity recognition vary across categories of organisations, such as startups, established firms, multinationals, public organisations, SMEs, NGOs, family businesses, social and not-for-profit ventures?
- How does organisational learning resolve the paradox between the contradictory processes of international opportunity exploration and international opportunity exploitation?
- In the context of international business, how do the learning processes of entrepreneurial firms differ from non-entrepreneurial firms? How do entrepreneurial firms unlearn as opposed to non-entrepreneurial firms?
- How can experimental research advance our understanding of the relationship between organisational learning and international opportunity recognition?
Strategic Management Analysis, undergraduate module (third year)
Strategic Management in Action, undergraduate module (third year)
Strategic Management, postgraduate module
- PhD in Business & Management, University of Glasgow
- MSc in International Business & Management, University of Manchester
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- IIMP Research Secondment & Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Vaasa, Finland, September – December 2013, €10,000: ‘Microfoundations of Dynamic Capabilities’