Your Professional Responsibility as a Mentor
This programme is no longer running. For general information on mentoring, please visit our Mentors page.
In accordance with the NMC Mentor Standards for Learning and Assessment in Practice (2008), you will already have successfully completed an NMC approved mentor preparation programme.
- In order to keep your mentorship current, it is essential that you:
- Participate in an annual (12 months) Mentor Update
- Participate in a Triennial Review process to ensure NMC standards are met
- Support and summatively assess two students within the 3 year cycle
- Have an understanding of due regard
- Have met the criteria to become a sign off mentor
To be assured of the quality of the future healthcare workforce it is also essential that:
- Students are supervised by mentors who are positive role models.
- Students are supervised and assessed by mentors who support care that embraces the underpinning principles and values of the NHS Constitution and the 6Cs.
- Mentors encourage and inspire students to make a difference to patient care.