Dr Simon Payne
Simon is an experimental filmmaker, whose work has shown in cinemas, museums and galleries worldwide. He teaches various practice and theory modules across our film and media studies courses.
Visit Simon's website
Simon’s films have been shown at Anthology Film Archives, New York, Rotterdam, London and Edinburgh film festivals and Tate Modern, the Camden Arts Centre, the Serpentine Gallery and other venues. His work typically explores fundamental aesthetics of film and digital imaging by way of quick cutting, abstract forms and colour fields.
He has written widely on experimental film and video, edits the journal Sequence
, covering contemporary artists’ film and video, and also programmes work. In 2013 he was the co-curator of Assembly: A Survey of Recent Artists’ Film and Video Made in Britain
, which showcased over 90 artists’ work in a series of 25 programmes at Tate Britain.
- Experimental film and video
- Expanded cinema and media
- Avant-garde arts of the 20th century
- Practice-based research in film and video
BA (Hons) Film Studies and Media Studies
- PhD (Practice-Based) Materiality and Medium-Specificity: Digital Aesthetics in the Context of Experimental Film and Video, Royal College of Art
- PgDip Electronic Imaging, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee University
- BA (Hons) Time-Based Media, Kent Institute of Art and Design, Maidstone
Selected recent publications
Payne, S.R., forthcoming. Grün Rot/Bäume im Herbst/Versuch. In: Rees, A.L. and Hamlyn, N. (Eds.). The Structural Films of Kurt Kren. Bristol: Intellect
Payne, S.R., 2014. Framing Forces: Models of Cinema Expressed by Films that Frame Painting. Journal of Contemporary Painting, 1(1).
Payne, S.R., 2012. Smooth Movement/Frenetic Motion/Flicker: Vice Versa Et Cetera. Animation Practice, Process and Production, 1(2).
Payne, S.R., 2010. Edgy Colour: Digital Colour in Experimental Film and Video. In: Inflexions, 4, http://www.inflexions.org/n4_paynehtml.html.