Dr Wendy Moody
Course Leader, BA (Hons) and MA Fashion Design
Deputy Head, Cambridge School of Art
Faculty:Faculty of Arts, Law & Social Sciences
Department:Cambridge School of Art
Areas of Expertise:
In between lecturing and research, Wendy has worked in fashion buying, undertaken freelance design work, and has exhibited and sold fashion illustrations worldwide.
Having completed her MA in Textiles and Fashion with distinction, Wendy lectured and conducted research at Liverpool John Moores University working in a multi-disciplinary context in collaboration with Engineering and Neuroscience on Haptic-based projects. Wendy's multi-disciplinary and collaborative PhD (clinical psychology and fMRI) focused on the wearing experience: psychological preferences in clothing design and the neurological basis of self perception.
Wendy worked at the University of Manchester, where she managed a Masters in Enterprise, before joining Cambridge School of Art as Course Leader for our BA (Hons) Fashion Design.
Influenced by previous research Wendy explores human body perception and detection and body image with and without clothing (colour, texture and shape stimuli) - primarily the organisational process within visual configural processing, and embodiment - the sensing of body configurations.
Areas of research supervision
- External Assessor (June 2011): MPhil – ‘Ethical Fashion and the Consumer’, Southampton Solent University
- Natasha Haswell (2010), ‘On-line Consumer Motivations of a Plus-Size On-line Retailer (Simply Be)’, (co-supervisor)
- Dr Helen McCormick (2009), ‘Multi-Channel Store Atmospherics Analysis’ (co-supervisor)
- Dr Gayle Booth (2008), ‘Women entrepreneurs: A study of fashion designers in Great Britain’ (took over midway to completion)
- PhD – the wearing experience: psychological preferences in clothing design and the neurological basis of self perception (Liverpool John Moores University, University of Liverpool, University of Bangor).
- MPhil – Sensing the Fabric (Liverpool John Moores University, University of Liverpool)
- MA Fashion and Textiles (Manchester Metropolitan University)
- BA (Hons) Fashion and Textiles (Liverpool John Moores University)
- PGCE (Liverpool John Moores University)
- Foundation in Art and Design (Newham Community College)
Memberships, editorial boards
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- UK Fashion and Textile Association
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- August 2011, consultancy writing: Sloggi (underwear), via fischerAppelt, relations GmbH (PR), Germany – feed into marketing and promotion and product considerations for following season
- April 2008, consultancy writing: The Fashion Report, Warrington Fashion Week, For Fido Pr
- February 2005, fashion design illustrations sold for national exhibitions in museums