Aysem is a Senior Lecturer at Anglia Law School in Chelmsford. She specialises in competition law, IT law and EU law.
Before entering academia, Aysem worked as an In House Counsel for several international companies.
Aysem obtained her PhD from the University of Essex. Her doctoral research entitled’ An analysis of Article 102 Treaty on the Functioning of European Union in dynamically competitive industries: prospects for change?’ draws on European competition law, IT law, IP law and economics in order to assess the suitability of the current EU competition law to digital media companies such as Google.
Aysem is particularly interested in the interaction and interplay between competition law/IT law and technology.
Areas of research supervision
Aysem is currently supervising three PhD students in topics in the areas of European Union law, competition law, IT law and commercial law.
- European Union Law
- Competition Law in the International Context
- Legal Research Skills
- The Law of Information, Intellectual Property and Social Media
- The Law of Business Associations
- PhD in Law, University of Essex
- LLM, European Law and International Law, University of Bremen
- MA, European Studies in Public and Private Management, Bremen University of Applied Sciences
- LLB, Ankara University Faculty of Law
Memberships, editorial boards
- Member of Internet Society/Turkey and England Chapters
- Fellow, the Higher Education Academy
- Attorney-at-law, Member of Ankara Bar Association and the Union of Turkish Bar Associations
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
University of Essex Social Sciences Doctoral Scholarship (2009-2013)
Selected recent publications
Diker Vanberg, A & Unver, M.F., 2017. The Right to data portability in the GDPR and EU Competition Law: Odd Couple or Dynamic Duo? European Journal of Law and Technology, 8(1), 2017.
Diker Vanberg, A. and Ozkan, A.F., 2013. Yesterday Microsoft, Today Google: Product Designs in High-Tech Markets and Challenges for Competition Law. Competition Journal, 4(1), 2013.
Diker Vanberg, A., 2012. From Archie to Google - Search engine providers and emergent challenges in relation to EU competition law. European Journal for Law and Technology, 3(1), 2012.
Recent presentations and conferences
Aysem regularly attends and presents in law and education related conferences and seminars on a range of subjects including but not limited to Competition Law, EU Law and IT Law. Some of her recent presentations are listed below:
- Presentation at the British &Irish Law, Education and Technology Association Conference, Braga, Portugal, April 21, 2017, Paper entitled 'Brexit: What does the future hold for data protection in the UK'
- Presentation at Anglia Ruskin Sports Law Conference, September 16, 2016, Paper entitled 'The role of EU in promoting fair competition in sport'
- Presentation at the British & Irish Law, Education and Technology Association Conference, Hertfordshire, UK, April 12, 2016, Paper entitled 'A critical review of the right to data portability in the GDPR' (peer-reviewed selection).
- Presentation at the 26th European Communications Policy Research Conference,, Ghent, Belgium, March, 29, 2011, Paper entitled 'Search Engine Dominance in the European Digital Economy' (peer-reviewed selection), funded by the Sir Eric Berthoud Travel Grant.
- Presentation at the British & Irish Law, Education and Technology Association Conference, Manchester, UK, April 12, 2011, Paper entitled 'From Archie to Google - Search engine providers and emergent challenges in relation to EU competition law' (peer-reviewed selection).